January 2018 Meeting with Anne Gentle
Git and Github for Documentation
Anne talked about how to invigorate your teams and grow documentation expertise to include developers, designers, and writers of all backgrounds. When you treat docs like code, you multiply everyone’s efforts and streamline processes through collaboration, automation, and innovation. She reviewed:
- Why teams already use developer tools and systems for docs.
- How to choose the right information architecture and workflows.
- When to improve upon existing writer and developer teamwork.
- How to evaluate tools and create best practices for REST API docs.
- How to improve quality with automation and review techniques.
- What tools enable continuous publishing and released docs.
She shared her perspective on how your projects and teams are a great fit for these techniques by learning about the potential wins and use cases. Author and build content like a pro, whether you’re a writer or a developer. Build in quality assurance, automate the builds, test the docs, and review with your teammates to make great docs.
Anne Gentle is an industry-recognized author whose books promote collaboration among developers, writers, and other stakeholders within open source and enterprise communities. She works as a developer experience engineer at Cisco, supporting DevNet members learning Cisco technologies for collaboration, cloud, security, IoT, data center management, and networking. She supports open source tools for API design, documentation, and developer support. She wrote the book, Docs Like Code, to share tested tools and techniques with all who want to provide helpful, accurate technical information to the world.